Frugal Food
 
Blogging about feeding my family of six without spending a fortune. You won't find fancy foods like beef wellington or chicken carbonara (most of the time), but you will find really good food eaten by an actual real family, with real activities and really picky children.
Saturday, August 13, 2005
Homemade Yeast Rolls/Bread
So many people love this recipe, I decided it warranted it's own post. If for nothing else than to make it easier to find :)

my 'famous' (infamous?) yeast rolls:
2 cups lukewarm water (free!)2 Tbsp yeast (or 2 pkgs) (50c)
1/2 cup sugar (11c)*
Mix well. Let set for about 15mins or until bubbly. This will test if the yeast is good. Bad yeast won't bubble.
Add:
2 eggs (12c)
1 Tbsp salt (negligible)
1/2 cup oil (13c)6-8cups flour (until not sticky) (1.00)
Mix until dough forms. Let set 45mins or more. Punch down & knead. Divide into loaves & place in greased loaf pans OR pull off dough and form into 2" balls to make hot rolls. Bake at 350F 45mins to 1hr for bread, 20-30mins for rolls. Makes 2 loaves or 30 rolls.
Total cost: $2.03
Cost per serving (1 roll): 7c/serving

I like this as bread too. But I hate cutting homemade loaves of bread, I really stink at it. So the rolls are how I get out of that :) I have a friend who actually made split top rolls with this recipe. She rolled three small balls of dough and stuck them in a muffin tin and baked them. Three balls (golf ball size maybe?) in each muffin tin cup, bake as usual. Then they split like those cheap bake & serve dinner rolls they sell at holiday time. This same friend also adds spices like Italian seasoning or garlic to make flavored dinner rolls. Yummy!

This recipe is so versatile, you could add a 1/4c more sugar and roll it out for cinnamon rolls. Just let it rise the first time, then roll it into a rectangle shape. Sprinkle with sugar & cinnamon, dot with butter, roll up into a "tube", cut into cinnamon rolls, then bake them in a 400* oven for about 15 mins. Drizzle with homemade frosting:
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 T milk
1/2 t vanilla

Mix together and drizzle over the cinnamon rolls while they are hot. If it's not thin enough, at a tiny bit more milk.
posted by Heather @ 7:46 AM  
9 Comments:
  • At December 01, 2005 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    if it is not specified as to which type of four to use ( plain or self rising) when making yeast rolls, then which should we use.

    Thank You

     
  • At March 17, 2007 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In response to the person who asked whether to use regular or self-rising flour...usually, if it is not specified in a recipe, one uses regular flour. Also, if the flour is self-rising, then one wouldn't need extra leavening (in this case, yeast).

     
  • At July 25, 2007 7:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Heather,
    I'm not sure if this is still an active site or not...I wasn't able to find a personal email addy for you...so here it goes...

    For the cinn roll portion of your recipe, you wrote "Just let it rise the first time, then roll it into a rectangle shape."

    "the first time"---does this mean there is a typo for the regular rolls recipe? b/c I don't see it stating that you let it rise more than one time??? Am I to let the rolls rise twice or once?

    I love this site of your's that I stumbled across...I wish there was MORE...thank you for all your info! Sometimes I feel at the end....I'm a divorced stay at home homeschooling mother of two girls trying to make ends meet...always looking for those wonderful frugal hints and any healthy way to cut back groceries and other things in life.

    thanks,
    steph

     
  • At September 07, 2007 3:35 PM, Blogger Tamara said…

    Hey! Not sure when this was posted but I thought I would add something for you! :) We use 1/2 cup of locally grown honey to help with allergies...as well as a tablespoon of blackstrap mollasses for some reason (health reason, ha ha)...I sometimes grind millet and flax seed in my bread as well. Some people like that stuff whole in their mix but my family grumbles about that. I love your recipe, it is so much easier than mine! :)

     
  • At September 16, 2007 11:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    This can also be used in a bunt pan. When you make your balls, roll them in butter and then sugar and cinnamon mixture and then place in pan, fill till half full, may also add nuts between layers of dough. When it rises to double in size bake till brown, about same time as for a loaf of bread and then you can just pull off bite size pieces, no cutting required. My mom always called this form of cinnamon rolls as monkey bread.

     
  • At November 25, 2007 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Heather,

    Do you let your yeast rolls rise once or twice?

     
  • At November 25, 2007 4:37 PM, Blogger bluechillies said…

    To those with questions about First rise and second rise.

    You should always cover and let rise the first time for Cinnamon rolls. Wait 10 minutes and then roll out on a lightly floured surface.
    For bread and rolls-let rise once for 60 minutes or until double and then knead down and let rest 10 minutes and then shape, cover and let rise until doubled. The second rise will/should be shorter than the first.

     
  • At February 26, 2008 11:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I made this recipe and it turned out a little bland. What am I doing wrong? The consistency of the rolls seemed fine, but it didn't taste like much.

     
  • At January 27, 2009 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Like the question on Feb26, 2008, I find this bland -- good consistency but bland taste. I don't want rolls too spicy but those my grandmother used to make had a great taste. What to do??

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Heather
Home: New York, United States
About Me: Mom to four kiddos. Love to cook, knit, crochet, read, and playing on the computer.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
My Button

Please host button on your own server
Sponsor
FreeQuickRecipes.com button
Links
Powered by

15n41n1

BLOGGER
Who links to me?