Frugal Food
 
Blogging about feeding my family of six without spending a fortune. You won't find fancy foods like beef wellington or chicken carbonara (most of the time), but you will find really good food eaten by an actual real family, with real activities and really picky children.
Thursday, May 19, 2005
Italian Noodle Bake - times two
Tonight we had Italian Noodle Bake, italian bread, & caesar salad. It was delish! I actually made two casseroles. One to eat tonight, and one to freeze for later. Not only did I save time on a future meal, but I save gas (stove is natural gas) by cooking two meals in one pot and baking both in the oven at the same time. And I probably will save us some future meal of fast food because we are in a hurry or rarer still, I don't feel like cooking. The sausage was actually sausage patties that we had bought on sale for $1.99/lb but they turned out to be very gristly. So I chopped them up and removed as much of the gristle as I could (and did pretty good) and used half of it (1lb total) for these casseroles and froze the rest for another meal. So I actually made 2 1/2 meals!
also threw in some ricotta cheese (to OD's dismay) that I had experimented freezing. You CAN freeze ricotta cheese! It tastes & smells fine, although the texture is a bit odd. I had bought a big 32 oz container of ricotta (for $2.00) and only ended up using half of it, I figured if it's going go to waste, I may as well try freezing it first. It worked! The green pepper was a score as well. I snagged them from the regular grocery store's (not the commissary) reduced produce. I got 5 large green peppers for $1.50 (so 30c each) brought them home & immediately chopped some, sliced some, and froze them all for future meals. I have also found red, orange, yellow, and purple peppers the same way! They are all in my freezer.

Italian Noodle Bake (times 2)
2 (16oz) wide egg noodles - 69c each = $1.38
1 (26oz) can Hunts Spaghetti sauce - 79c
1/2 lb italian sausage - 99c
16oz leftover, frozen ricotta (1.00)
1/2 c frozen chopped green pepper (15cents, about 1/2 of a green pepper)
Spices - red pepper flakes, oregano, garlic, salt, & pepper (negligble cost)
1/2 C mozzerella cheese (33cents - a 2C pkg is $1.30 at the commissary)

Serving per casserole: 8

Total cost of food:
$2.32 per casserole


Cost per serving:
29c/serving

I also added a caesar salad. Romaine hearts were on sale for $1.99/3. Half of a package will feed us for one meal. Another $1 added to our meal cost. Plus a loaf of store baked italian bread, from the reduced bakery section. One loaf 70c, we used half a loaf. Added 35c to our meal cost.

Total meal cost:
$3.67/meal

Cost per serving:
46 cents per serving
posted by Heather @ 5:39 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At August 07, 2005 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Silly question but can you post a "play by play" on how to make this? I'm very interested. I am so excited you're doing this I have been looking for something like this (your blog) for awhile. It gets expensive to grocery shop and we often eat out because of things being hectic. If I could freeze a few meals then that would solve a lot of problems!

     
  • At August 13, 2005 8:01 AM, Blogger Heather said…

    Play by play:

    Boil the noodles (your choice, penne, ziti, macaroni elbows, rigatoni).

    While the noodles are boiling, brown the sausage w/ some onion & pepper (diced) & spices. I use Italian seasoning, garlic powder (NOT garlic salt), red pepper flakes. Drain. Add the spaghetti sauce & reheat.

    When noodles are done (not too soft, kind of firmer than you would usually make them because they are going to be cooked a little bit more in the oven), drain them, return them to the pan & pour the sauce/sausage mixture over the noodles. Stir.

    Add the ricotta cheese & stir.

    Pour into a glass casserole dish. Top with a cup or so of mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil & bake for 15-20 mins on 350*

    Voila!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Heather
Home: New York, United States
About Me: Mom to four kiddos. Love to cook, knit, crochet, read, and playing on the computer.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
My Button

Please host button on your own server
Sponsor
FreeQuickRecipes.com button
Links
Powered by

15n41n1

BLOGGER
Who links to me?