Frugal Food
 
Blogging about feeding my family of six without spending a fortune. You won't find fancy foods like beef wellington or chicken carbonara (most of the time), but you will find really good food eaten by an actual real family, with real activities and really picky children.
Thursday, May 26, 2005
Bean & Bacon Chowder
I love soups, stews, & chowder. I love making them & I love eating them. I am most fond of creamy broths. Not too fond of clear broth types, like chicken or beef soup. Not enough OOMPH! for me, I guess. This Bean & Bacon Chowder recipe was one that I modified from a recipe I found in The Complete Tightwad Gazette

1 (16oz) pkg Turkey Bacon (1.00 - sale at commissary) chopped into 1 inch pieces
3 medium potatoes, peeled & cubed (about 13c)
6 C milk (I use dry milk, I can get a can for less than $5 that makes just over 5 gallons) (50c)
1 onion, chopped (20c)
1/4 C flour (4c!)
1 lg can (26oz) baked beans (you could use leftover from homemade, I have yet to master the knack of making good homemade baked beans, mine come out crunchy lol - I use Bush's Maple Baked Beans) (75c - on sale)
pinch of thyme negligible
pinch of parsley negligible
salt & pepper negligible
Total cost: $2.62
Total per serving (12 servings): 23 cents!

Saute bacon & onion in a big stock pot until bacon is crispy and onion is translucent (see through). Stir in the flour, add in the milk stirring constantly. Turn the heat down to about medium, cover & simmer. WATCH the milk! As many times as I have made this chowder, I ALWAYS manage to get some stuck to the bottom of the pan :( Thank goodness for T-Fal lol.
Once the milk is simmering, add the potatoes, thyme, salt & pepper. Continue to simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Add the parsley & serve :)
It makes a LOT! we have this for dinner one night & I eat it for lunch for a week!
I'd say at least 12-15 servings. BIG servings lol.

I like to make this with my 'famous' (infamous?) yeast rolls:

2 cups lukewarm water (free!)
2 Tbsp yeast (or 2 pkgs) (50c)
1/2 cup sugar (11c)

* Mix well. Let set for about 15mins or until bubbly. This will test if the yeast is good. Bad yeast won't bubble.
Add:
2 eggs (12c)
1 Tbsp salt (negligible)
1/2 cup oil (13c)
6-8cups flour (until not sticky) (1.00)
Mix until dough forms. Let set 45mins or more. Punch down & knead. Divide into loaves & place in greased loaf pans OR pull off dough and form into 2" balls to make hot rolls. Bake at 350F 45mins to 1hr for bread, 20-30mins for rolls. Makes 2 loaves or 30 rolls.
Total cost: $2.03
Cost per serving (1 roll): 7c/serving

When I'm feeling really decadent I like to smear melted butter over the tops as soon as they come out of the oven. mmmmmmmmmmmm!
So even w/ the rolls, the cost per serving is only 30 whopping cents!
posted by Heather @ 6:17 PM  
2 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Heather
Home: New York, United States
About Me: Mom to four kiddos. Love to cook, knit, crochet, read, and playing on the computer.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
My Button

Please host button on your own server
Sponsor
FreeQuickRecipes.com button
Links
Powered by

15n41n1

BLOGGER
Who links to me?