Frugal Food
 
Blogging about feeding my family of six without spending a fortune. You won't find fancy foods like beef wellington or chicken carbonara (most of the time), but you will find really good food eaten by an actual real family, with real activities and really picky children.
Tuesday, August 23, 2005
Creamy Ham Casserole
3 cups cauliflower/broccoli florets, about 1 lb (99c)
4 Tbsp butter/margarine (4c)
1/3 cup flour (5c)
2 cups milk (16c - dry milk reconstituted)
1/2 cup sour cream (25c)
3 cups ham cubes, about 1 lb (99c)
Hot cooked rice, about 1 lb (30c)
Total Cost: $2.78
Cost per serving: 3c


Steam cauliflower(or broccoli) until tender & rinse in cold water. Melt butter in a large saucepan & stir in the flour until smooth. Add milk slowly, stirring constantly. Cook & stir until mixture thickens (it will look quite lumpy and you won't think it will ever smooth and thicken, but it does). Add the cheese & sour cream & continue cooking until cheese is melted, stirring constantly. Add ham & cauliflower. Serve over rice. Yields 10 servings.
posted by Heather @ 10:41 AM  
6 Comments:
  • At August 23, 2005 11:00 AM, Blogger Sue Ann said…

    This looks delicious.

     
  • At September 10, 2005 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey where do you buy your ham? Do you use Turkey Ham or good old fashioned piggy? Whole Ham? Ham steaks? I always thought Ham was kind of pricey, I never figured out the cost per servings or anything, I guess it can't be too expensive or you wouldn't use it right? I just need some ham buying advice. HELP!

    peanutmommy.

     
  • At September 27, 2005 3:36 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    I answered this, apparently it disappeared into the blog-o-sphere lol.

    I usually buy a whole ham. I buy them when I can get them for 99c/lb or less. When I made this, I got it for 99c/lb. Last week they were 79c/lb. I can usually get 3-4 meals from one whole ham. And at 79-99c/lb, it's way cheaper than most other cuts of meats.

     
  • At January 18, 2006 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Ma'm,
    Sorry to impose, but I am a (nearly) 24 year-old mother of one and married, working on our second year. I still really new in the kitchen, so I googled pantry/fridge/freezer staples and your blog came up. I just wanted to say that I hope you write a book or a column somewhere, or at the very least, continue with this blog (even though it seems you're sort of on a hiatus). You are so organized and aware, and I applaud you. I'm sure I'm not the only girl with the titles "Mother" and "Wife" that have gained much from your posts.
    Thanks,
    Ashley Putman
    Birmingham, AL

     
  • At January 19, 2006 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, I'm making this and I just noticed that you didn't say how much cheese to put in. I put a cup. How much do you use?

     
  • At January 22, 2006 5:41 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    I usually use a cup or so. Too little and it tastes like white gravy lol.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Heather
Home: New York, United States
About Me: Mom to four kiddos. Love to cook, knit, crochet, read, and playing on the computer.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
My Button

Please host button on your own server
Sponsor
FreeQuickRecipes.com button
Links
Powered by

15n41n1

BLOGGER
Who links to me?